Very powerful image manipulation program, great for photo retouching
and image creation. There are other downloads, GTK and runtime
environment for this program to work properly. This program currently
runs on Linux, Windows (XP and Vista), Mac OSX, and some Unix based
– Image creation and manipulation program for Windows systems. This is
a pretty compact and fast running graphics program with plenty of
– An interactive vector drawing program for Unix and Linux operating
systems built on the Python language. This program has tons of features
like gradient fills, bezier curves and you can bend text along paths to
name a few.
- Originally a Japanese only edition, Pixia is a very nice paint tool
with full layers support and many other features. The English version
website does lack information and support so you will likely need to
search the web for information on learning to use this tool. This is
currently a Windows only program and does support some drawing tablets.
– If you have been looking the free answer to Adobe Illustrator or
CorelDraw, IncScape is a great alternative. This is a full featured
vector graphics editor. The website has a tons of information,
tutorials and galleries of work created with the program, to give you a
good idea of what you are getting involved with.
– A free image and photo editing software for Windows based PC's. This
program was voted #19 out of the top 100 programs of 2007 by PC World.
It has full support for layers and special effects, the tools are top
notch and highly recommended by many users. There is a strong online
community for support and frequent updates to the software. Comparable
to Adobe Photoshop.
– A freehand drawing tool designed for use with tablets. Several
choices of brushes and pencil strokes for creating realistic drawings.
Also auto smoothes lines if you are using a mouse to draw with.
– An image editing and creation program for Windows systems. Although
this program is a little rougher than some of the others it still has
some nice features like easily creating 3D text, red-eye removal and you
can easily create your own Windows screen savers.
– Free graphics editor, with support for many of the popular and common
image formats. It isn't as full featured as some of the other
programs but it is a good choice for less technical or light users.
– A painting and drawing program developed for the PC. Has a nice set
of tools and very functional, although does lack features of some large
– This is a vector based drawing program that operates on most Unix and
Windows systems. It has a ton of features like out of center
gradients, patterned lines, dynamic xml editor and you can easily create
– Another nice, full featured vector based drawing program released
under the GNU license. This program comes as part of the Koffice
project which includes a whole suite of tools in KDE.
– A freeware paint and drawing program for Windows designed to simulate
natural brush tools and effects for artists used to working on canvas.
It supports most common file formats, has the standard editing tools
like found in many popular graphics programs and offers a few effects
– This is a modified version of Gimp, designed to work and feel more
like Adobe Photoshop, allowing Photoshop users a comfortable free
– A nice command line program for editing and creating images. There
are a whole bunch of useful features like shearing and transforming
images, flip, mirror and rotate images and a whole lot more.